Friday 19 October 2018

A Little Drive to Wales

This lot are from Rhyl.  Sweethearts 💓

Anyone who knows me will know that I love Wales.  North, south, mid, west - I don't care so long as I'm in Wales.

Which is sort of a shame because I live in Norwich which is quite a drive away.

So I was delighted to do a mini tour of Wales for the Welsh Books Council and Hot Key Books to celebrate 'The Nearest Faraway Place' winning a 2018 Tir na n-Og award.

I packed a lot into a few days.  Here's a quick summary:


I drove across Britain, 
said hi to Newtown Library at the start of Libraries Week,
met the smashing kids of Llanidloes, 
marveled at the boys who plotted an entire thriller 
IN JUST FIVE MEASLY MINUTES,
literally looked at 'witch things' with Helen from 
the Welsh Books Council,
went in the oldest WH Smith's IN THE WORLD,  
had a quick trip to Llangollen,
drank a pint of beer that was too strong for me in Wrexham,
met Boo the Staffie,
met loads of very cool kids from Rhosnesni High,
ate a scone the size of my head,
visited Wrexham Football Club and talked about 1970s football with Shoned,
played 'Hunt the Radio Station' in Glyndwr University,
found it, 
recorded a radio interview,
danced on the beach all by myself in Rhyl,
had a very big chat with the bright young people of Rhyl,
drank a pumpkin spice latte with Kat Ellis - writer and Rhyl girl,
   walked almost to Prestatyn,
watched 'The Apprentice',
drove back to Norwich.

It was good!  And I met so many great people and I feel like a have a whole load of new friends.

It was also a bit knackering.  Next week I'm going to Aberystwyth...




Newtown WH Smiths.  Proper old skool.

Shoned from the Welsh Books' Council.  lyfli 💓 (I don't know if that's how you say lovely in Welsh but it looks right.)
Rhyl girl and horror writer Kat Ellis.  Not actually horrific at all.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Hayley! Kim from Graham’s Hull and Hungarian past here. I was trying to get in touch with him again but the email address I have is old and he doesn’t seem to have any Facebook etc presence. Anyway I’m kimwillcocks@hotmail.com and please tell Graham I would love to hear from him. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kim! Only just seen this. Will tell G immediately. Hope you are well. Hx

    ReplyDelete