Saturday 5 January 2013

There Can Be Only One!



Yes.  Just as the rubbish 1986 film Highlander once taught me, ‘There Can Be Only One.’ 
Winner of the Costa Children’s Book 2012 that is. 
And it wasn’t me or Dave Shelton or Diane Hendry.  It was the brilliant Sally Gardner for her unique dystopian novel, ‘Maggot Moon.’   Very big congratulations to her.
I won’t say I wasn’t disappointed.  Because I’d be lying.  In fact, for a little while I totally understood how Joey Tribbiani felt when he didn’t win best actor award for his role as Doctor Drake Ramoray in the stunning hospital drama Days Of Our Lives.
But that didn’t last long.  And you know what?  I’m just so chuffed to have got on that shortlist in the first place.  It feels like an achievement bigger than my degree and my driving test and my A Levels and my basic food hygiene certificate and my BAGA gymnastics award Level 4 all rolled into one.  And it’s been good for me.  Because it’s made me begin to believe that I can be up there with the best.  And now I’m reworking the manuscript for my next book like my fingers are on fire.       
I once heard someone on the telly saying that success isn’t supposed to be easy and it’s all about the struggle.  It was the singer from the 90s band, The Bluetones.  He was talking about how a teacher at his school told him that a caterpillar needs to struggle out of its cocoon in order to change into a butterfly.  Without that struggle, the newly emerged butterfly would never fly.  It was the most memorable episode of The Chart Show I ever saw.  
Anyway, I suppose what I’m saying is this:  Writing books isn’t easy.  Neither is winning awards.  I’m amazed at how far I’ve managed to get in this game and I intend to keep trying and trying and trying to get further and further and further.  Because it’s what I love to do.  And I bloody well want to be shortlisted for a big book award again. J

Winner of the box of stuff described in the last blog is Melissa Marshall of Peterborough.  Hooray!

Happy New Year to her and Happy New Year to you all!
       

No comments:

Post a Comment